Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
jasmineluv
New_user jasmineluv is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When jasmineluv reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jasmineluv

How did you come about choosing to become a stylist? Nowadays, I feel like there’s so much pressure for teens like me to go to college and become doctors or dentists or CEO’s. When I was younger, I knew that I always wanted to be a model or fashion designer but when I told my parents they would constantly put me down and say that I need to go to college and become somebody and that it’s not guaranteed that you’ll become a well-known fashion designer.

Now, I’m completely stuck because I know I feel passionately about fashion but I know it’s risque to go into the fashion industry and that going to college would be the “safer alternative”.

To get to the point, how did you decide that you would go down the road you wanted rather than the path your parents chose for you?

posted almost 3 years ago
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

going to college isn’t even the safer alternative anymore—a B.A. is literally meaningless now :( unless you go into engineering or something. how old are you? you said when you were younger your parents pressured you, so are you done with education and feel you’ve made the wrong decision?

imo I’ve always been interested in the arts, but I know only the best of the best of the best make it (or you have great connections and networking skills). I feel like it’s important to get a well-rounded education regardless, and that’s something high school doesn’t really offer.

jasmineluv

10 points - Become a fan

jasmineluv

I’m only seventeen but I’m freaking out because I’m a senior and have to apply to colleges this year. I know that a lot of people go into college undecided, but there’s tons that are specifically for a fashion or med or business career. And I don’t want to be like wicked old when I finally become known if I went to college for something else then chose to change careers.

sloan
Style_council
sloan

If fashion is what you love I think that you should go to school to get a degree in fashion. It will help you to get jobs in the future. You should also look into minoring in business, especially if you want to create your own label. One thing that is great about going to school when you want a career in fashion (or anything arts based) is that all of the people in your program are great connections for after graduation. Networking is extremely important and school is a great place to start meeting people that will become the future of the industry.

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

most larger universities offer an array of different majors—it’s not uncommon for people to switch out of one and do something completely different. you could play it safe and go to a big school so you have lots of options; during your freshman year, you can take a bunch of different classes and see what interests you most.

I’m not sure what the fashion field is like after getting your B.A., but for things like med school you just have to take the right courses—you could be like a media studies major and still be pre-med. you could study business and then get an M.A. in fashion? just take related courses and intern before you apply. don’t be afraid to shoot an email to professors or admissions staff to see what you can do :)

jasmineluv

10 points - Become a fan

jasmineluv

Okay, thanks so much! I think I was just stressing myself out A LOT hahaha.
(:

ANNAFRYS
Style_council
ANNAFRYS

HEY DEAR! CHOOSE WHAT U REALLY FEEL TO DO BUT ANYWAY IF U ARE DENTIST U CAN STILL BE A fashion designer:)

REPLY TO DISCUSSION